The UK is set to spend a initial full day though generating electricity from spark on Friday, a National Grid says.
It pronounced it had run coal-free before, though a longest continual duration was 19 hours, initial achieved final May.
It comes as less-polluting healthy gas and renewables play a bigger purpose in supply – nonetheless a direct for appetite is also reduce on Fridays.
The grid pronounced it would usually know for certain if it had achieved a attainment by “22:51 on Friday”.
Britain non-stop a initial coal-fired appetite hire in 1882 and spark remained a widespread partial of a appetite brew until a 1990s.
However, a use has depressed in new years, as plants sealed or switched to blazing biomass, and it accounted for only 9% of electricity era in 2016 – down from 23% a year before.
Last year, a supervision pronounced it wanted to proviso out Britain’s final plants by 2025 as partial of efforts to cut CO emissions.
Analysis: BBC attention correspondent, John Moylan
Coal has powered Britain for some-more than a century. But today’s landmark impulse – a initial 24 hour duration though any spark powered era – is a pointer of how a once strong fuel is being consigned to history.
Part of a reason is that solar panels and breeze turbines now yield most some-more electricity to factories and homes. Lower appetite direct is a cause too – that’s normal on a Friday.
And as older, uneconomic spark dismissed plants have sealed in new years, a hoary fuel has been personification a most smaller purpose in a appetite system.
Paul Ekin, highbrow of resources and sourroundings process during University College London, pronounced a full day day though spark would be “enormously significant”.
“As recently as a late 1980s spark was provision as most as 70% of UK electricity,” he told a BBC.
“We afterwards had a lurch for gas in a 1990s, with chief roughly contributing around 25%, and spark forsaken next 50%.”
He pronounced a stream bearing was to reinstate spark with gas though that renewables like breeze and solar were also personification a bigger purpose – accounting for 25% of supply in 2015.
Hannah Martin, conduct of appetite during Greenpeace UK, pronounced a initial day though spark in Britain given a Industrial Revolution “would symbol a watershed in a appetite transition”.
However, Cordi O’Hara of a National Grid pronounced spark still had a purpose to play as a UK transitioned to a low CO system.
“Our appetite brew continues to change and National Grid adapts complement operation to welcome these changes.”
Key moments for coal-fired power
- 1882 – The world’s initial open coal-fired generating plant is non-stop during Holborn Viaduct in London
- 1956 – The Clean Air Act (1956) is introduced to tackle a fog combined by spark dismissed stations. Coal-burning appetite stations are changed out of cities
- 1970s – Coal for heating homes is increasingly transposed by healthy gas from a North Sea
- 1980s – Nuclear appetite grows to around 25% of electricity generation
- 1990s – ‘Dash for gas’ as healthy gas grows to around 30% of electricity generation, mostly substituting for spark
- 2015 – Renewables comment for 25% of appetite supply
- 2016 – Government says it wants Britain’s final spark appetite plants to tighten by 2025.