AN historic house which was once the home of two of Henry VIII’s wives has been put up for sale for $3.5 million.
Walton Manor, in Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey, is a 800-year-old country home and was once part of top boarding school Eton College, the Daily Mail reports.
As well as a fabulously elaborate home including tennis court, the remains of a chapel, plus other restored Jacobean features, the property is full of history – and was once home to Henry VIII’s first and fourth wives.
On entering the south-west wing of Walton Manor, the would-be buyer is greeted with a grand reception hall, leading on to a cloakroom, drawing room and dining room.
There is also a study, a sun-room and five enormous bedrooms – four of which are en suite.
The property retains a number of its ancient features including flint walls and the original arched entrance.
On the first floor, the windows are all made of stone while one of the rooms includes a restored Jacobean fireplace.
Some elements of a chapel – including a large stone window – can also be found on the first floor.
Above the doorway leading to the upper part of the chapel is a beam which has been identified as ‘Memel’ oak grown in the Bosphorus, which was often brought back by ships as ballast.
It also has 1.2 hectares of land which includes secluded gardens, a tennis court and double garage.
Walton Manor is thought to have been built around 1260 by John de Lovelot who, from 1275 to 1289, was a Puisine Judge of the Common Pleas.
The south west wing is the oldest part of the Manor and originally consisted of a two-storey hall and a chapel.
It is understood that floors and partitions were added in the 17th Century, with many later additions to the back of the property in 1891.
At the conquest Walton Manor was granted to Richard de Tonbridge, whose descendants held it until 1314. It then passed into the hands of Baron Hugh Despencer until he was hanged by Queen Isabella in 1327.
In 1332, the Manor was held by John de Warrenne who was granted the right to hold two fairs at Walton Manor.
And prior to being lived in by Henry VIII’s wives, the home was also occupied by Elizabeth Woodville, the wife of Edward IV.
Later on, Admiral Sir Benjamin Hallowell, who served with Lord Nelson at the Battle of the Nile, lived in the property.
In 1509 King Henry VIII gave the manor to Catherine of Aragon, his first wife.
The couple divorced and in 1533 the manor was granted to Sir Nicholas Carew – an English courtier and diplomat.
The Carew family remained in possession of Walton Manor and much of the land until approximately 1860.
However, in 1543 Anne of Cleaves, the King’s fourth wife, moved in. It is unknown how long she stayed in the property.
During The Second World War the Manor was requisitioned by the government and used by the Canadian armed forces.
The property was extended after the war and, around 30 years ago, it was split into two.
One wing of the expansive property was then converted into posh apartments.
It is the south-west wing of the home which has now been put up for sale through Savills.
THE WIVES OF HENRY VIII
1- Catherine of Aragon (annulled; died while detained under guard at Kimbolton Castle)
2- Anne Boleyn (annulled and later executed)
3- Jane Seymour (died days after giving birth, widely believed to be following birth complications)
4- Anne of Cleves (annulled)
5- Catherine Howard (annulled and later executed)
6- Catherine Parr (widowed)