A JEALOUS husband has launched a shocking attack on his wife, gouging out her eye with his bare hands after he found her with a new boyfriend.
The 39-year-old woman from southern China had already left her husband following months of beatings and abuse. She eventually fled to her home city of Yulin where she started a relationship with a new man. But her husband appeared at her new home and attacked her boyfriend. When his ex intervened, he began beating her, eventually gouging out her left eye with his bare hand. The woman was taken to hospital but doctors were unable to reattach the eye.
WORLD NEWS: ‘PILOT CRASHED PLANE ON PURPOSE’
– A pilot showed a “clear intention” to crash a passenger plane that went down last month, killing 33 people, investigators say.
– One of the men convicted of the gruesome murder of British soldier Lee Rigby allegedly drugged and raped a 14-year-old girl in 2001.
– Construction workers laying a pipe have stumbled on the skeletal remains of at least 10 people in what is believed to be a mass grave from Sri Lanka’s civil war.
– More than 20 people have been wounded – four seriously – when a car bomb exploded near a Thai hotel.
– A covert CIA program has helped Colombia’s government kill at least two dozen leaders of the rebel insurgency group known as FARC.
– A man who set himself on fire in St Peter’s Square at the Vatican has died in hospital from his injuries.
A HEARTBREAKING TIME FOR FAMILIES
– A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection without a prescription.
-A mum says she believes her 13-year-old daughter is alive despite a declaration that complications from a tonsillectomy left her brain dead.
– Thousands of Christmas carollers gathered to sing outside the home of a terminally ill girl, whose dying wish was for a holiday sing-along.
PR EXEC APOLOGISES FOR RACIST TWEET
– A PR expert who was fired over an appalling AIDS joke has issued an apology saying she is ashamed by her behaviour.
– British tabloids are fanning fears of a mass invasion of migrant workers as the EU prepares to lift travel restrictions on Bulgarians and Romanians.
– Freed former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky has vowed to do all he can to ensure the release of other political prisoners in Russia.
WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
– The annual “Fat One” Christmas lottery in Spain has spread $3.4 billion in prizes around the country, where one in four is out of work.
– North Korea boasts a lot about its military might but when protesters insulted the regime its response was less than mighty. It sent a fax.
– Residents of a town in the US Bible Belt got a shock when a group of drag queens were mistakenly invited to perform at their Christmas parade.
– Allen Harkleroad is a twin, his father is twin and his grandfather had twin brothers. So when his wife Mandy gave birth no prizes for guessing the result.
– Charles Ramsey, the man who famously put aside his Big Mac to help rescue three women held captive in a Cleveland house, will publish his memoirs.
– A 75-year-old man is doing well after receiving an artificial heart, giving hope of a long-term solution for those needing heart transplants.
-Iceland’s powerful elf lobby is fighting a highway project they say will disturb the thousands of elves that live nearby.
SHOWBIZ: PAQUIN CUT FROM X-MEN, MARIAH HAS COOL CHRISTMAS
– Anna Paquin might go a bit rogue herself, after news emerged that her only scene has been cut from the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.
– Mariah Carey has showed off her incredible physique, by posting a photo of herself sporting a red bikini in the snow. (As you do.)
– Katie Price has been rushed to hospital in London and put on a drip after becoming ill.
– Prince William, his wife Catherine and their son George will reportedly break from royal protocol and all travel on the same plane for their trip to Australia.
– She may be one of the biggest names in music, but Beyonce says she was “terrified” about the surprise release of her new album.
– NBA star Dwyane Wade and Bring It On’s Gabrielle Union are engaged, with Wade popping the question before his team’s Christmas party.
SPORT: PROTEAS JUST SHORT OF HISTORIC CHASE
– India and South Africa drew an epic Test overnight as the Proteas fell just eight runs short of a record run chase and one of cricket’s most improbable wins.
– Dennis Rodman may have to head home from his latest visit to North Korea without meeting with the country’s leader, Kim Jong-un
– Eddie”The Eagle” Edwards is returning to ski jumping, despite insurance concerns, with the 50-year-old to compete against juniors.
– Tim Sherwood claimed his first victory as interim Tottenham coach as his side came from behind to win 3-2 at Southampton in the Premier League.
– Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has lifted his threat to sack manager Malky Mackay.
– Title chasers Juventus and Roma piled on the goals on the final Serie A match day before the festive break.